4 ounces tomato juice
1 4-inch, celery
3 sprigs thyme
2 whole green onions
1 ounce butter (or meat dripping)
1 bay leaf
4 sprigs parsley (including stalks)
1 large carrot
2 onions, chopped (I recommend sweet onions)
2 stalks celery
36 ounces beef stock
1 cup barley
- To make the spice bag
- place 1 bay leaf, 3 sprigs thyme, 4 large sprigs parsley (including stalks),
one 4-inch piece celery stalked with leaves, and two whole green onions in
the center of a square of double thickness cheesecloth.
- Fold up the sides of the cheesecloth and tie off the top very tightly to make
a spice bag.(Equivalent dry herbs may be substituted).
- In a large soup kettle fry the oxtail pieces and the vegetables in the fat for a few
minutes until lightly browned.
- Pour the beef stock into the kettle with the fried oxtail and vegetables as well as
the spice bag.
- Bring to the boil and cook on high for 1- 2 hours (or longer if necessary) until the
meat is tender and falling off of the oxtail bone.
- Turn off the heat and allow to sit until soup has cooled some. Using a fat
separator skim off all of the fat from the top of the soup.
This works because fat is less dense than the soup (mostly water) and will
rise to the top. All less dense objects will float on a more dense fluid.
- Strain the stock, cut all the meat (in small pieces) from the bones and then return
the stock and meat to the pan.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add Barley and cook till barley is tender